Tuesday, February 15, 2011

3 staples and a brave heart! Happy Valentine's Day!

Yesterday as I was finishing up my grueling Monday at work (and valentines day - which i dislike) my phone rings and it is my mom.
**Rewind..... In march of 2010, my two kids and I left New Jersey and we moved back to my hometown of Marietta, OH where my parents still live. (in the same house I grew up in) My parents have been my rock over the past year and a half and I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for their continuous love and support. As a result of the move and everything else, my parents have been helping me with my kids- picking them up from school etc**
Present day- She says to me " She is fine and is being really brave" and in an instant I knew something happened to Madison. My thoughts were broken arm, broken nose, broken leg? NOPE- wrong- she fell down the steps and cracked her head open on the pole at the bottom of the steps. And my thoughts revert to my old "life guarding days" and I am thinking the worst- concussion, bleeding in the brain, etc (typical me- over react)
Result: ER visit.
We are so lucky to live in a small town as there was NO wait for us to get in to see a Doctor. We were back in a room with in 25 minutes of arriving and we were watching Finding Nemo on TV.
Madison is her talkative self, telling me that she had to ask my mom for an ice pack after she fell and we all got a laugh out of that one. Madison is sitting on my lap and we are holding the ice pack on her head and talking about her Valentine's day party at school. She is making jokes and then the Dr. walks in.( we will call him Dr. C)
Dr. C takes a look at it- tells me that he will be doing stitches and then leaves to go get the nurse. Of course this sets off a major meltdown from Madison as she doesn't understand the whole process- she is 5.
The nurse comes back and we start the numbing process. A gel-like substance is applied to the cut to "numb" the area. We do this for about 20 minutes and then it was time.
Well, they decided- and neglected to tell me the mom- that they opted for staples. So as they are just about to do the first staple- the Dr. C proceeds to press (on a huge knot which isn't numb) on Madison's head and the blood curling screams begin! 3 staples later- Madison is up sitting on my lap eating a double purple Popsicle (the nurse had promised) and we were almost out of there. I have to say the 10 seconds of stapling seemed like an ETERNITY, but it was over so quickly and they were quick to tell me that she was numb- just the knot on her head was not.
Popsicle in hand and a smile on her face- we head out to "check out" and get some medicine.  She calls her dad (who still lives in NJ) and tells him everything. I fill in the blanks and we head to Wendy's as it is now 7pm and we both are starving!!!!!

We get home and our normal evening routine goes into play and she is talking and playing with her brother as if nothing happened. "Back to Normal"(minus the 3 staples and some shed tears).

According to Madi- the best thing " I don"t have to wash or brush my hair for 5 days!!!!" And she proceeded to share that with everyone she talked to and also her "name bracelet" was a huge deal as well. Except "The spelled my name wrong- my last name isn't first"
And that is the world according to Madison.

On a "mom" note- I am so proud of my little girl. Brave and bounced back so quickly. I am so proud of her- I can't express it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment